Coffee filters have been around for many years. Many brands produce coffee filters, but most screens fall in one of three categories. If you want to find out what the different types of coffee filters there are, as well as the pros and cons of each, then continue to read the rest of this article.
Paper Coffee Filters
The most common types of filters used by many people are paper coffee filters. They are only designed to be used once before throwing them out. These filters remove diterpenes, which are oily components that are found in coffee beans. Generally speaking, paper filters are cheap and are usually purchased as part of a package/batch.
1. Pros Of Paper Filters– The best thing about paper filters is they are easy to use. They don’t leave a huge mess behind either. All you do is throw it out after you’re done brewing your coffee.
Another benefit is that they remove diterpene in coffee beans, and this oil may raise cholesterol levels slightly. Paper filters will decompose in landfills because they are biodegradable. Furthermore, you don’t have to worry about bacteria growing on them because you only use them once.
2. The Cons– The main con is certain varieties of paper filters can burst quickly, which can result in a mess and your coffee will be ruined. This is why it’s important to choose a brand that is known for producing quality filters. Other than that, there are no major cons associated with paper filters.
Paper filters come in various forms, with the most common being white. Natural brown and bamboo are other types that they come in. The chances are you’ll only come across white paper coffee filters when you go to the local grocery store because this is what many stores carry.
Permanent Coffee Filters
These filters are designed to be reused after you have washed them. They tend to be made of nylon or metal. They are a bit expensive, but they can last for a very long time.
1. The Pros– The main benefit is that permanent coffee filters can be used for many years, as long as you take good care of them and keep them clean. Not only that, but you can count on a strong roast when you use permanent coffee filters, which means you’ll enjoy great tasting coffee every single time you use the permanent filter. The third benefit is they are eco-friendly because they don’t play a role in producing waste or deforestation.
2. The Cons– There are two main cons, with one being you have to clean them every single time you use them. Some have to be hand washed, but there are filters out there that are safe for the dishwasher. Another con is sediment can be left behind in the coffee cups and the carafes. This also greatly depends on the coffee grinder you use.
Permanent coffee filters are commonly found in gold tone. However, nylon is used to make them too. If you decide to get a permanent coffee filter, consider getting one in gold-toned because you won’t have to worry about an acidic taste as time goes on.
Cloth Coffee Filters
These types of filters are either made from hemp, cotton or other similar fabrics. These filters come in the shape of a bag or cone. If need be, you can use a scrub-brush and water to get them cleaned.
1. The Pros– There are two pros, with one being that clot filters are considered eco-friendly if they are made with organic fibers. The other benefit is the bold coffee flavor you’ll enjoy. Cloth filters let tiny particles of coffee ground into the product, which results in great tasting coffee.
2. The Cons– They have to be cleaned with water after you use them. Not only that, but you will need to replace them every few months. You might need to replace them more frequently, but this depends on how often you use them.
Cloth filters are affordable too. Just make sure you buy durable ones from a good brand. You don’t want to waste money on fabric filters that will fall apart after a few uses.
Those are the different types of coffee filters, but keep in mind that not all filters are created equal. Take the time to research different brands before choosing a coffee filter. With that said, all you have to do now is decide which coffee filter you should use.